Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Ray Manzarek


I was around 10 years old when I first remember hearing the Doors in the form of Whisky Bar booming out of my big sister Mhairi's bedroom.  I remember thinking it was the most ridiculous circus sounding song I had ever heard.

Obviously I was an idiot.

Fast forward 13 years to walking down a street somewhere in Japan with fellow alien Alex having been recently evicted from a bar singing Whisky Bar to the passing businessmen on their way to work and it seemed like the best song ever written.

This is just one of many, many doors memories for me including dancing with my sister Eilidh in Amsterdam as the crazy lady outside the train station armed with her tambourine belted out People Are Strange,  dragging my mum to Jim's grave in Paris only to stand back with pride as I overheard her explain who Jim Morrison was to two very confused German tourists and best of all standing next to my bud Andy and his lovely Louise in Vegas as they was married by Jim Morrison himself.


Good times, great band, amazing music.  Another seat in heaven's rock bar is now taken.

Ray Manzarek





No comments:

Post a Comment