Friday, March 4, 2011

Indecent exposure?



So today most fashionistas were talking about Lady Gaga making her modeling debut in Paris for Muglers Autumn/Winter collection. I must say that while I am generally for any hat in any situation I was decidedly underwhelmed by Miss Gagas choice of head gear. Bumpy semi circular UFO types. What struck me more however was the outfits on show or more to the point the amount of boobs on show. I personally thought the outfits were pretty funky (especially the yellow skirt thing, its like you are emerging from a flower) however it did make me question, at what point do you start to wander into the realms of indecent exposure.





If, for example, I was to wear one of Muglers creations and head out to the supermarket would I get arrested for having my boobs on show. If I was arrested would I then be able to sue Mugler for not having a “warning! May result in arrest” label?

As always when in a knowledgeless state I turned to the all knowing Wikipedia who informed me that in England and Wales

“Indecent exposure is the deliberate exposure in public or in view of the general public by a person of a portion or portions of their body, in circumstances where the exposure is contrary to local moral or other standards of appropriate behavior.”

Seems pretty vague, which leads me to believe that if I were to start a small hat wearing community where it was the social standard of appropriate behavior to always have said hat on your head could I then have all none hat wearers arrested?

In Scotland the law is slightly different and states:

“There must be a lewd and indecent intention, mere carelessness is not criminal”

Thus if you forget to wear your hat you are ok and I can only arrest you if you are hatless and give me the finger.

This may all seem a little farfetched but I do believe small communities as I have described already exist. Though you may not be arrested I am pretty sure that wandering into certain areas of Glasgow and Edinburgh with the peak of your hat at anything less than a 90 degree angle will result in severe punishment never mind no hat at all. I wonder if anyone has tried to sue residents of said area for not having appropriate signage warning of the dangers of ignoring the local social standard of appropriate behavior?

No comments:

Post a Comment